We hear lots of questions about manufactured homes. The truth is, just about every home built in the United States has some factory-built component. Even site-built homes may have roof trusses and many other assemblies built in a factory.
And why is this the case? The answer is simple, manufactured home builders have found that they can control costs and maintain consistent construction quality by using factory-built components.
The Process is Designed for Quality and Affordability
The factory construction process is why manufactured homes can offer quality construction at an affordable price. In the factory environment, the construction process is controlled. There are no expensive subcontractors. Teamwork plays an essential role where employees are efficiently and professionally supervised. Inventory can be controlled and materials can be protected from theft and damage. There isn’t much trouble with the weather inside a factory, either. Purchases are in volume for additional savings which are passed on to the homebuyer.
Also, because of the size of the manufactured home industry, it can continually introduce new, innovative and cost-saving building techniques which allows the quality, safety and durability of manufactured homes to steadily improve.
How a Manufactured Home is Constructed
- Manufactured homes start with a steel frame which has wheels and a hitch attached. To support the outside walls of the home outriggers are added.
- The wooden flooring is constructed and the heat ducts, plumbing lines, insulation are installed.
- Accesses to plumbing are installed, carpet and other floor coverings are laid.
- The furnace and hot water heater are both installed.
- Walls are fastened securely to floors.
- Insulation and pre-wiring are then put into place.
- Cabinets are installed.
- Electrical receptacles and switches are connected.
- The house is plumbed.
- Ceilings are secured into place with vapor barrier and insulation installed.
- Roofing, siding, windows and doors are next.
- A final inspection checks for flaws. If any are found, they are fixed.